The word “believe” comes from two old English words: BE and LIFON. BE meaning "life" (as in being) and LIFON meaning "according to." Therefore, to believe means to live in accordance/agreement with something. Continue reading here....
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Decisions are a part of our lives. They make or break relationships, families, organizations, churches and our very lives. They play a very important part in everyone's lives. Since they are so very important, we need to make sure we are depending on the right source to help make our decisions. Who we consult with before we make decisions is very important. This is especially true for leaders. Decision-making is a part of leadership that no leader can avoid. Making decisions or owning up to a decision made by the group that you lead is part of what makes you a leader.
So, as a leader who do you primarily depend on for guidance and wisdom before you make a decision? Continue reading here...
Monday, May 24, 2010
Here are some of the things that I jotted down during Jonathan Falwell's session.
- When a man of God dies, the work of God continues.
- What you are doing as a leader should outlast your life.
- 1 Peter 5:5-6,10,12. Two ways of doing ministry and leadership:
- Pride - Its all about me.
- Grace - Free and unmerited favor of God.
- We are called to STAND - firmly planted.
- Distractions are present even in church and ministry.
- Be who you are. Don't wear someone else's armor. (Saul and David)
- "Know who you are, accept who you are and be who you are"- Chuck Swindoll.
- Many of us try to be on the lists of the greatest and end up on the list of the broken!
- Be what you are - A minister of the Grace of God.
- As a minister of Grace - you CANNOT fail!
- God always equips you to be successful with the things he has called you to.
- Pride and grace can never coexist.
- Pride and organizational leadership will stifle personal ministry.
- It is the grace of God in which we stand. Especially when things get tough.
- Strategies are good but they cannot replace who God has called you to be.
- It is about your motivation and focus.
Notes from James MacDonald's session.
- Ministry is hard but it is worth it in the end.
- 2 Timothy 4:9-16
- There is loneliness in ministry.
- There is discomfort in ministry.
- There is a lot of conflict in ministry.
- There is rejection in ministry.
- Through it all God is always there.
- There are no enduring relationships without forgiveness.
Notes from Perry Noble's session.
- Learn to embrace seasons of pain.
- Criticism is always going to be a part of ministry and leadership.
- Surround yourself with people who love Jesus and you, but love Jesus more than they love you.
- Depression is part of the many leaders lives.
- Those who deify will/can also crucify.
- Fun, family and focus are three things that help deal with depression.
- Be still and know that He is God!
- Sometimes being still is that hardest thing to do but it is a must!
- If you as the leader don't get healthy, your church will never be.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Here are the notes from Jon Tyson's session.
- Jesus - "apart from me you can do nothing!"
- Church of Ephesus in the book of Revelation.
- They did a lot of things well but had forsaken their first love.
- As a leader, how do you cause people to love God more?
- A few myths about how to do it:
- Have a "super pastor" and people will love God.
- The miraculous will cause people to love God.
- If we get more missional people will love God.
- If cultural impact takes place people will love God.
- If we have a better discipleship strategy, people will love God.
- If we have the right doctrine people will love God.
- What/Where did the Church of Ephesus fall from?
- A lukewarm church does not declare the glory of God.
- The Church of Ephesus did all the "myths" yet forsake their first love.
- As leaders our responsibility is to tell and show people to Remember, Repent and Return.
- It is about the way God sees us not how we see Him!
- Our responsibility is Ephesians 3:14-19
- To make sure that they are rooted and grounded in Love.
- When that is not primary, you create a culture of work and failure.
- Leaders need to receive love and receive from God.
- When the Father blessed Jesus, He did it before Jesus started His earthly ministry.
- We are so dependent on strategies because we are bankrupt of the power of God.