The five areas that Paul tells Timothy to set an example in are:
- Speech: As young leaders it is very important to make sure that we control and keep in check the words that come out of our mouths. The Bible is clear in teaching us about the power that is present in the tongue and the words we speak. We need to be mindful of what we say. (Ephesians 4:29) Make sure that what you say is helpful and beneficial to others.
- Life: We need to live lives that bring glory to God and cause people to draw closer to Him. Leaders have the responsibility of setting the bar high and being accountable in all areas of live. Living a transparent life for others to see causes people to trust and follow you.
- Love: Walking in Love is the most important responsibility of a christian (Luke 10:27). It is even more important to do so as a leader. There will be many opportunities to get offended at people around you but there will never be a good reason for not walking in love as God commanded us to do so. Every time you are faced with the temptation of not walking in love, think of the love that God showed towards you on the cross and ask Him for strength to stay humble and walk in love.
- Faith: According to Hebrews 11:6 it is impossible to please God without faith. Faith is a very important part of the christian life. Faith is like a muscle that grows as we excersice it. Step out in faith. Believe God. There are many examples of young people both in the Bible and present time who stepped out in faith and did great things for God. By great things I don't mean that every young person needs to write a book, be on the cover of a magazine, plant a church etc. You can begin by trusting God and putting your faith in Him in the everyday things of your life, from
- Purity: (Psalm 24:4) We need to be pure not just with our sexuality and thoughts but it every area of our lives. Andy Stanley says "Purity paves the way to intimacy." This definetly applies to sex but it is true of every relationship. When there is no purity in relationship, there are hidden agendas and secrets present. A healthy and genuine relationship cannot be developed between two people when there are hidden agendas and secrets present. When we let go of purity in our lives we are letting of very important relationships in our lives.
Most of the things mentioned above are not new for most christian leaders but everyone of us need to be reminded on living lives that are examples for others to follow.
How have other leaders in your life set an example for you to follow?